Ingredients for the Crust
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans, toasted and cooled
- 6 tbsp. or 3/4 stick cold, unsalted butter; cut into 1/2” chunks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose, unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup white, whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- A pinch of nutmeg
Ingredients for the Filling
- 2 large eggs; beaten
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup Grade A, dark amber maple syrup
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil or melted and cool unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. dark rum
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups roughly chopped pecans, toasted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8” x 8” x 2” baking dish with aluminum foil, in which a few inches overhang the edges.
- In a food processor, place all ingredients for the crust in the bowl. Cover and process until the mixture is similar to cornmeal with tiny bits of butter. Pour the crumbly mixture into the foil-lined baking dish and make sure it’s even. Bake the crust for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the ingredients of the filling in a separate bowl.
- When the crust is ready, pour the filling over the hot crust. Return baking dish to the oven to bake for about 25 to 40 minutes, or until the center doesn’t wiggle (a tiny bit of movement is okay, but it must be solidly set) and the top is a darker brown.
- This is important: Don’t remove pecan bars from the baking dish until its completely cool and firmly set.
- When the pecan bars are cool, use the overhanging foil to gently remove from the baking dish. Remove foil from the pecan bars. Cut into 1" to 2” squares.