Adapted from Kristie Green, owner of Maple’s Organic (via “Portland, Maine Chef’s Table” by Margaret Hathaway)
Makes about 1 quart
- 1 cup maple syrup, darkest available (look for a grade B)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a medium-sized heatproof bowl, beat together the maple syrup and egg yolks until the mixture gets noticeably lighter in color. Set aside.
- Heat the milk and sea salt in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Whisking constantly, pour 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the warmed egg mixture back into the large saucepan with the rest of the milk. Add the cream. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat your spoon. Take the pan off the heat.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a container, and pour your gelato base through the sieve.
- Let the mixture cool for about 20 minutes. Then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Freeze the gelato in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Courtesy of: http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/24440