These precious little gems take only about 20 minutes to make from start to first bite! And they are waaaay healthier than ANYTHING you will find on a store shelf. Just FIVE ingredients and totally to-die-for delicious. Make these and "treat" yourself ;) ..
vegan, makes about 7-9 large cups
3 Tbsp organic virgin coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks, vegan
1 cup raw walnuts (about 1/2 cup once processed + packed)
3-4 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
optional: 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
optional: 1/4 tsp cinnamon (or some cayenne for spicy cups!)
nut butter (peanut OR almond butter)
muffin liners (about 7-9)
1. Process the walnuts in a Vitamix or food processor until a chunky "walnut meal" forms.
2. Combine the walnuts with the maple syrup and salt in a small bowl. Add in optional vanilla and cinnamon too.
3. Add the coconut oil and chocolate to another small bowl and microwave for a few seconds (about 30) and then stir briskly to melt the chocolate with the oil. If you need a few more seconds in the microwave, go for it.
4. Combine the chocolate mixture with the walnut mixture.
5. Spray your muffin liners with canola oil. (I forgot this step for a few cups and the edges got a bit messy. For clean edges, spray with oil!)
6. Add 1 Tbsp chocolate mixture, then add about 1/2 - 1 tsp peanut or almond butter, then add another layer of the chocolate mixture to cover the nut butter.
7. Continue until you make all your cups.
8. Place in the freezer until firm enough to eat, usually about 10-15 minutes, but longer if your cups are extra large.
Store uneaten cups, covered, in the freezer. And allow to that a minute or so before eating. My husband LOVES them crumbled and served over top vegan frozen yogurt. I like to just nibble on them straight from the freezer.