- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream (for the sauce)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp of coffee liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream (for the semifreddo)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
1. place the maple syrup on a saucepan and let it boil (it will bubble up a lot!). let it bubble for a few minutes until it starts smoking (you’ll notice the bursts of steam turn to smoke), once this happens, carefully pour the 1/2 cup of heavy cream and stir to until everything’s mixed. remove from the stove and let it cool completely.
2. create a double boiler by placing a pot with water barely simmering and a glass or metal bowl on top. place the egg yolks, coffee liqueur, and sugar in the bowl and whisk until the mix turns pale and starts to get frothy – be careful though! don’t overheat it or you’ll end up with sweet scrambled eggs. once frothy and light yellow (about 4 minutes), remove from heat and whisk ’til it doubles in volume (use an electric mixer or your arm power). set aside.
3. place the vanilla and 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream in a bowl and whisk to stiff peaks (until it holds its shape). slowly fold in the egg yolk mix until they’re both combined.
4. scoop some of the cream mix onto a dish, drizzle some of the maple caramel sauce, and add more of the cream mix. repeat until you finish the cream, once you’re done, drizzle one last layer of caramel and swirl with a knife or toothpick.
5. freeze overnight. serve and enjoy! (a.k.a. go to heaven).
This frozen treat is the best farewell to summer and the perfect way to welcome fall.